How do I turn my hobby into a business? What should I charge for commissions? Should I start a Patreon? What does pie have to do with business? These questions and more are answered in this collection.
For starters, check out my post on How to Become a Professional Prop & Costume Maker. I also go into the journey I personally took to create Punished Props in the video Turning Creative Passion into a Successful Business.
Wondering about getting paid for work vs. getting work for your portfolio? Chase Jarvis came out with an awesome, and totally accurate, article called Say No Unless a Project Has At Least 2 of These 3 Things.
Every business is different, but there are some great resources to get started. If you have, or are starting, your own business, I highly recommend reading the books below. Especially, The E-Myth Revisited.
Business Books to Read
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
- The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results – Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
- The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle – Steven Pressfield
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Lean…And Others Don’t – Jim Collins
Our buddies Evan & Katelyn came to visit us from Texas for the week! We sat down and chatted with them about how they got started making things, the process of running a business, and YouTube!
Bill & Britt chat about what it was like to move their shop and all the challenges and excitement of creating a new work space.
Creative Business talk! Bill answers questions about turning a hobby into a business, learning experiences, work schedules, commissions, charging what you’re worth, content marketing, social media, income sources, Patreon, and more!
We get a ton of great questions from you about who we are, what we do, and how we do it. Bill sums it all up in this batch of frequently asked questions.
Patreon can be a really amazing method for creators to get paid for their work straight from the people who enjoy said work.
Bill shares his journey on how he turned a creative passion into a successful business. Follow along with the years it took to create the fabrication and replica tutorial company called Punished Props.
Here is the roadmap to turning your creative passion into a full time career.
Bill shares his experience of running a business as a creative person.