New to Prop and Costume Making?
Prop and costume making can be an extremely fun and satisfying hobby, but it can be daunting if you’re just getting started. Fortunately for you we’ve put together an exciting collection of easy to follow tutorial content designed to get you into that shiny new costume as quickly as possible. Below are a handful of excellent resources both from us at Punished Props and some of our amazing friends!
The Really Good Stuff
Over the years us and our friends have written a handful of need-to-own books on prop and costume making. These are tomes of incredible information for extremely affordable prices.
- Our Foamsmith Armor Making Book
- Everything you need to know to make costume armor from cheap EVA foam.
- Volpin’s Painting Book
- A professional look into getting that perfect finish on your replica prop pieces.
- Kamui’s Worbla Books
- A set of invaluable guides to making props and costumes from a versatile material.
- WM Armory’s Foam Fabrication and Painting Books
- More excellent fabrication and finishing techniques.
The Good, Free Stuff
Want more prop and costume making content, but don’t want to commit the coin? We’ve got you covered too! Below are a myriad of useful free resources for making your next cosplay or prop project.
- Start with a plastic prop and re-paint it, like I did with this Stormtrooper Blaster.
- For your first prop built from scratch, start with a simple prop, like my Destiny Hand Cannon or Destiny Hunter Knife.
- We have free video tutorials on foam crafting techniques here.
- Every week we do a live show answering prop and cosplay questions. Watch our past Q&A episodes here.
- We also have a whole bunch of free content on mold making, including a full tutorial series!